Food industry research Software
A software to manage food industry research
Food industry transformation sector faces strong and diversified insights that R&D needs to address. In order to control the full process from raw matter to the final product, research departments must take into account many information. Particularly in plant R&D, genetic information, agronomic performances and processing qualities must be managed efficiently and analyzed altogether to get qualitative products.
In crop transformation organizations involved into breeding, R&D departments¹ have to deal with new insights and settle strategies and processes to give efficient responses for better seed performances and quality of the crop transformation process.
Modern breeding techniques such as genomic and marker assisted selection, combined with high throughput phenotyping generate huge amounts of information to improve traits and resistances to environmental constraints. In addition, through GxE analysis breeders can provide industry a stable quality of food regarding environment variations.
To comply with the needs of the market, generated by an integrated chain of return of experience from the food industry and consumers, breeders propose seed traits compatible with processing standards.
New relevant societal expectations for transparency also impacts breeding organizations and their information systems by requiring a fine traceability of the seeds in terms of production, genetic origin and transformation.
Therefore, data management becomes a real challenge to make this information a source of improvement in breeding.
Benefits of research software for food industries
Skilled Information System teams build integrated data management and analysis approaches, based on a Research Resource Planning² and collaborative database systems, to support innovative long-term processes such as crop pedigree breeding, agronomic research and laboratory analysis.
The solution proposes all-in-one tools with (I) Data warehouse capacities for heterogeneous information management from multi activities (II) Process-oriented software for daily R&D work planning and monitoring (III) Data analysis tools for advanced reporting and decision making assistance:
Benefits of a Research Resource Planning (RRP) for plant breeding, testing and agro-food R&D :
• Real time data management from the breeding to the sales department increases reactivity and decision-making during field works.
• Encourage collaboration between researchers. Improves data sharing quality, and reduces the redundancy of information to save resources and investments.
• Standardize and industrialize processes to improve the efficiency of the work and save time.
• Valuation of research data lets breeders centralize and compile phenotypic, genomic and environmental information and extract the best indicators.
RnDExp™ Standard software for Food Industry Research
The standard software RnDExp™ is part of RnDExperience™ suite to manage research activities on a central system. It enables to share data in real time, worldwide, under subtle right settings letting users and teams read, write or edit information. Research departments of the agro-food industry have much to gain in automating their processes to facilitate staff integration and skill transfer:
• Raw food industries such as Cristal Union looking for the methods to extract the most sugar from sugarbeets.
• End product food industries studying solutions to avoid raw product shortage, for example a giant of chocolate sweets.
• Seed companies like Secobra developing the best Barley varieties in Europe for beer brewing.
• Technical institutes researching technical knowledge, for instance Terres Inovia for the French Oil sector.
RnDExperience™ standard software and Doriane expert services ensure sustainability of the R&D information system: A totally new version of the software is issued every 10 years on average, and twice a year in average an upgrade improves the existing features and releases new tools. That "software life cycle" strategy guarantees the necessary technology evolutions in strategic domains for research:
• IT (Web interfaces, bigdata, Artificial Intelligence)
• Agronomy (Drones, IOTs, Plant Scoring app)
• R&D (traceability, data inter-operability)
Our consulting services bring the necessary tools and support for customers to migrate in good conditions to sustainable, up-to-date and efficient platforms.
Software editor and consulting partner for Seed and Food industry research departments for more than 30 years, Doriane has developed the plant breeding software RnDExperience™ based on the concept of RRP, Research Resource Planning. In partnership with customers from all over the world, Doriane’s innovations combine:
• The management of all types of flow and experiments on live material
• An integration with an RDBMS (Relational Database Management System)
² Royer F.: Enterprise Integrated Data Management, ERP and RRP, in the Seed Business, SeedQuest (2009) : « For research departments, these ecosystems of software are replaced by RRP, or Research Resource Planning, solutions using a shared relational database and able to manage complex business processes. The RnDExp® software suite by Doriane is an example of RRP. » Read the publication.
Doriane, your R&D IT partner
About DorianeThe expertise of Doriane brings the three players of R&D the resources to organize, share and valorize their research projects:
RESEARCH DEPARTMENTS: Fast implementation of business processes ; Liberation of researchers creativity
IT DEPARTMENTS: Real-time centralization of multilocation data ; Security and integrity of data
MANAGEMENT: Maximization of research investments ; Research departments monitoring ; Intellectual assets valorization and sustainability